Saturday, August 13, 2005

Altbier revisited

Ok, so I had some friends over to play pool and we all sampled the Altbier. Overall I'm somewhat disappointed. I think the nose is kinda off and it finishes with a strange taste. As I understand it the warmer your ferment the more likely you will have too much esters build up in the beer. (Brew Your Own Article) There is a moment of maltiness and good bitterness upfront, but, as my neighbor says, that doesn't last long. Oh well, now I know what happens when you brew beer at 75-80 degrees :-(. This batch reminded me of another Altbier that I brewed a long time ago when I first got into home brewing. I guess the same thing happened back then. On the bright side, I did get a chance to build a jockey box to chill the beer as it comes out of the keg.

No comments: